I have been making this little number for a few years now. It’s one of my favorite post-workout meals! It’s ready fairly fast and is super-healthy and vegetarian friendly! I have tried adding chicken to this before, and also tried using soy sausage, but it just doesn’t taste as good. For some reason the meat just takes away from all the fresh veggies. I hope you’ll try this and tell me what you think! I just can’t get enough of this meal!
Servings: 1 or 2 ( Eat entire recipe by itself, or you can split it with someone and add a soup!)
Calories: About 350 for entire recipe
1 Whole Wheat Pita, cut in half
2 Tbsp Hummus, any flavor
Spinach or Mixed Baby Greens Lettuce
Cherry Tomatoes, diced
Red Onion, diced
*Optional: Olives (I don’t care for olives, but this would probably make a good addition if you do)
*Also Optional: Diced Avocados! I added them to the pics shown. They’re very delicious if you have them on hand, if not, don’t worry about it. (Calories don’t reflect added avocados.)
1 oz Feta Cheese
1 Tbsp of your favorite Italian Dressing
(I make my own dressing using the Good Seasons Italian Dressing packets. You can find these by the other dressings, usually on the top shelf. It takes just seconds to prepare and you can personalize it! I use Tarragon White Wine Vinegar and Olive Oil to make mine!)
- Rinse, dry, and dice all veggies.
- Slice around the edge of the entire pita with a sharp knife to make two whole circle pita halves (notice pic). It’s easier to do if you heat the pita in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Toast pita halves sliced side facing up in a 350 degree preheated oven for 5 mins.
- Spread 1 TB hummus on each half.
- Pile on all the veggies to your liking starting with the lettuce.
- Sprinkle on feta cheese then drizzle with Italian dressing.